Monday, June 1, 2009

Jesus loves my boobs.

Week one of the wedding crazy was a heck of a lot of fun. Wedding #1 was, well, interesting. Outdoor wedding.. we got rained on. The grooms family was, um, loud and outspoken at inappropriate times. Like during the first dance. But the bride and groom looked wonderful, and they had a good time, and that's what counts. And it isn't a wedding without some kind of family drama anyway!

Wedding #2 (my friend's wedding) was absolutely wonderful. Every girl sobbed like a baby during the ceremony. My friend's father passed away from brain cancer about six? years ago, so it was bittersweet. But I lightened up the ceremony by dropping the Eucharist down my dress, so it's all good. I think it took all of the willpower of the bride to not cackle with laughter from the front of the Church.

At the reception, my friend danced a tribute to her deceased father with her brother to an aria from an Opera that she prerecorded. It was an aria that her father (who was an Opera singer) always wanted to hear her perform. Again.. much crying. I'm amazed that my mascara wasn't all over my lips by the end of the night. And that my friends is why I only wear Smashbox mascara. Also... I had FIVE (yeah. five.) cosmopolitans... and I wasn't drunk. I have no idea how that happened. And one of my friends (who is a bit of a lush) had a sip of it after I told her that it was my fifth one and said "Jesus! That is really strong!! How is this your fifth and you're still standing! You're doing really good."

This wedding made me really miss my college friends. They all live in New York City, and I rarely get to see them... but damn do we know how to have a good time!! My legs hurt really bad now from all the dancing. I even got Gene to dance! (well, I convinced the mother of the bride to guilt him into dancing with me... worked like a charm!)

And I really know how to get the party started... one of my friends who is, um, energetic and very expressive in his dancing accidentally PUNCHED ME IN THE FACE. Luckily no black eye. I kicked him in the balls later in the evening. And again, weddings wouldn't be weddings without the drama... one of my friends left in the middle of the reception for no good reason... just disappeared, and another one of my friends broke her dress while doing air guitar.

One really good thing came out of the evening though. I finally decided which song to use for my audition next Monday. The bride and groom's first show together (theatre people ALWAYS have a blast... they did a little skit coming in to introduce the bride and groom to musical songs rather than the music for the starting lineup of the 1996 Chicago Bulls) was Crazy For You, which was the show we did our senior year. And the one song I was thinking of performing is "But Not For Me" which is also from that show. During the course of the evening, "Crazy For You" came up about four times. So that settles it... "But Not For Me" it is. I got a lot of support from my friends when I told them I was thinking of auditioning again, so hopefully this will work out. I mean, I'm not expecting to walk in there and be cast as Millie in Thoroughly Modern Millie, but hey... it wouldn't hurt!

3 comments:

Joanie said...

I want a copy of that picture of you and Gene. Sounds like you had a fantastic time, sock in the face and all! I'm sure the vodka from the cosmo helped dull the pain too.

Fidgeting Gidget said...

Just for that post title, I'm giving you an award over at my blog. Well, it's for more reasons than that, really, but that is a killer title.

Ali said...

Woo hoo! Good decision.