Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Reasons why you should probably look at the schedule FIRST.

I'm on the website of the theatre that's doing Thoroughly Modern Millie... and it's a good thing I did. They have three dates for auditions. Monday and Wednesday, the auditions are 45 minutes away. Tuesday, they're 10 minutes away, but that's the day that I work at ULTA at night. So I can't do the Tuesday audition.

And then I'm looking at the run of the show... and it runs from August through October (oh yeah, long runs... five shows a week Wednesday thru Sunday) but I didn't realize that the Wednesday shows? Are at 11am. As in while I'm at my fulltime job. As in for two months, I'd have to take a vacation day so that I could do the show if I'm cast. Plus I'd have to quit ULTA because um I'm not doing a show, a full time job, and a part time job. No way. So what the heck am I going to do?

And the other theatre that I was going to audition for? Those auditions were on Saturday, but I had my friend's wedding to go to...so there was no way of doing that. Apparently they're having more auditions tomorrow because they wanted 35 people to fill out the cast, and they only had 25 show up. So they need more bodies. This show isn't a show that's really "my type" but their run is only a few weekends rather than two months... and the rehearsal schedule would probably be a bit easier. That way I'd only have to take a small ULTA hiatus if any (I can't afford an ULTA hiatus.. the other theatre with the Wednesday matinees is a paid position because it's a dinner theatre and the actors are the servers, so they make money on tips)

I don't mean to talk myself out of this audition, because I REALLY want to do it.. but if I get cast in the show? What's that going to mean for my full time job? I can't do eight or nine Wednesdays off in a row... unless I can make up my hours some other way. I don't know. I'm trying to see how this can work out, and I'm not coming up with anything. I don't know what to do. The dinner theatre I think I could possibly have a shot at a role. The theatre that's doing the show I'm not crazy about? No way in hell. I can't be a Swedish sexpot. I could be her spunky sister. Not a sexpot. That ain't happening...ever. Unless the director is blind.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Stupid life getting in the way...

Sounds like you're going to have to make some sacrifices depending on how badly you want to do a show this summer.

I know that doesn't sound helpful, but it's just what I think I'd do.