Monday, October 27, 2008

My First Football Game.

I've been to football games before... high school games. My high school was definitely a sports school. Those jocks were pampered at my school, and they got away with murder. For some reason though, they were great at home, they were a really polished team, but they couldn't follow through on championships. We missed it in basketball my fresh-soph year (that's when the basketball team was amazing... and footbal sucked) and they couldn't do it my junior-senior year in football (when basketball was atrocious. They couldn't be good at the same time...ever.) I was also a cheerleader. Only for my frosh year! But I know a lot about sports. I always watched sports with my dad when I was younger (I didn't care as much then) and now I'm with a sports guy.

Gene is one of those guys who knows all of the answers to all of those dumb trivia questions they ask during games. You know, the ones that feature players from the 60s and 70s when Gene wasn't alive? He's read almost every book about the Phillies. He even met Dallas Green once. He sold him a microwave in Delaware. Well now, because of this guy, I am a sports girl. I bleed Phillies red, and I go green with the Eagles.

Yesterday I went to my first Eagles game ever. This is nothing compared to high school football. The people are drunker (which, at my high school is an accomplishment. Those people are alcoholics), they are louder, and they are more obnoxious. And I loved every minute of it. My favorite part of the game, however, was not the fabulous weather, or the fact that we beat the Falcons. It was the people sitting behind me. This older couple (probably late 50s-early 60s) about halfway through the first quarter were SO DRUNK that they passed out. While holding hands with their heads together. The big guy in front of me stood on his chair and screamed in their face. Nothing. Then people started taking pictures of them and screaming. Nothing. Then people started chucking things at them. Nothing. Finally, security came over and asked them to leave... and the guy was so drunk (and confused from being asleep, probably) that he was spilling his leftover beer all over the place, and he could barely make it down the steps! My entire section exploded in cheers of "Let them sleep!"

About midway through the third quarter, they came back! High-fiving everyone in our section. Apparently security told them to walk around for a bit and have something to eat. It was crazy. Our section was also at war with the section next to us... with who could do the E-A-G-L-E-S- EAGLES chant better. We won. Clearly. It was one heck of a game. All of Philadelphia is totally charged. This weekend was a great weekend for Philadelphia. The Flyers beat the NJ Devils...twice... Penn State won against OSU... The Eagles beat the Falcons... and now the Phils are up 3-1 in the World Series. Sunday was a great day for Philadelphia...because the Phillies TECHNICALLY won two games that day because of the rain delay, AND the Eagles won.

I also still hate Joe Buck. And still wish evilness and sickness on him. I hate that guy. And Santa sucks.

No comments: