Monday, October 20, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Halloween. My favorite commercial holiday...ever. Because A. it has a religious (re: Pagan, but whatever) origin, and B. it's an excuse to get dressed up like a weirdo, and no one can look at you funny for it. I'm a big fan of making costumes and coming up with concepts and whatnot. Last year for the big poker Halloween party we have in Jersey ever year, Gene and I (and our friends Rich & Deb) dressed up as the Flintstones and the Rubbles... since we're shorter by a lot, we were the Rubbles. I happened to have 5 yards of light blue satin and the perfect pattern for a Betty dress, so Gene's mom made my costume for me, since I haven't used my sewing machine in a while.

This year, we're going as "People who are hard to find" and Gene is going to be Waldo, and I'm going to be Carmen SanDiego. It's going to be awesome. Gene's mom is making Gene's shirt (you have NO idea how hard it is to find a red and white horizontal striped long sleeved t-shirt or sweater) and I'm making the Waldo hat. I have to stop at Michael's for lunch today and pick up circulars and white & red yarn. For mine, I need to find a red fedora like hat... I'm thinking Boscovs or Walmart and raid the Red Hat Ladies section... and I need a red trenchcoat. I found one at Old Navy for $99... but um, no. So I think I need to hit up Goodwill and see if I can find a tan one... and either dye it red (not sure how yet) or spray paint it red. I know that I can turn my washing machine into a dye vat... I'm just afraid to. 'Cuz you know as soon as I do, I'm going to wash whites.. and they'll end up being pink. Why can't I have access to the dye vats in a costume shop somewhere!? Bah!

My other red hat option is to buy a black cowboy hat and just cover it in red fabric. We'll see what happens. I also think I need a long red-auburn wig, because my hair is short and black.

1 comment:

becklette said...

check out whatiwore2day.blogspot for and over-dye tutorial-- basically, use cotton, weigh the material and use the appropriate amount of dye, follow the directions.

i totally have a kitty litter bucket you can use...