Saturday, September 20, 2008

Jersey, Birthdays, and Missed Calls.

The other night I had a good ol' time with my cousin and her friends, none of whom I've ever met before. Most of them are college friends of hers, some are high school friends, but all of them are new people to me. I met some interesting people last night. A former roller-derby girl, who told me I should totally join the one that's in Delaware. I've always been intrigued by the roller-derby, mainly because I think I'm much more badass than I probably really am. I think I could totally rock at the roller-derby, but other people who know me just shake their head. Then there was the very sexually explorative friend of my cousin. I know WAY too much about her sex life right now. Most of my cousins college friends left fairly early. I spent the night (I was not driving to Delaware in the middle of the night from Jersey. Not happening) so I got to see all the interesting-ness.

At one point, the one really loud girl announced (after she said she was going home to work on 5 papers she had to right for the masters program she's in) that she's going to a strip club on South Street in Philly. If you aren't familiar with Philly....this isn't exactly the best neighborhood to go to, let alone at 2:30 in the morning. This particular strip club was an after-hours club, so it opened at 2 since that's when bars close in PA. Loud girl, sexually explorative girl, her boyfriend, my cousin's boyfriend's cousin, and his gay friend all went to this strip club... and they were all really surprised that me, my cousin, and her boyfriend weren't going. Um. It's a shady strip club on South Street. No. They all came back alive, so that's good... and some of them even got lap dances.

The next morning... I had my phone upstairs in my cousins room, and we were in the family room watching Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog... and I missed three calls from Col in Ireland. I was super upset. I saw this weird 12 or 13 digit number on my missed calls list and was like what the hell is that??? And I said to my cousin I swear if I missed a call from Colleen.. I'm going to cry. And I did. I was all fine... I have barely cried at all that my best friend left the freaking country. But I heard her voice, and totally burst into tears. It was so pathetic. I am 24 years old, and there is no reason that that should make me cry uncontrollably. My cousin had no idea what to do. On my way home, I had my iPod set to a playlist that I made for when I would drive to Philly to pick Col up (she doesn't drive. Doesn't have a license. She is also 24 years old. Feel free to mock, I do.) but I made it a long time ago. Like almost a year ago. I had been listening to it on my way to Jersey, so I figured I'd continue on my way back. First song that comes on was Maroon 5 Won't Go Home. You know. The one that starts "I asked her to stay...and she wouldn't listen..." Not helping the crying. The next song that came on was just as bad, but I can't think of it right now. That playlist? It sucks right now. I'm currently mad at my iPod. I did talk to her though. I went and bought a phone card at Happy Harry's for $10. It was 125 US minutes. Guess how many international minutes that is! 13. 13 minutes. $10 for 13 minutes. It hung up on her.

ETA: The songs... started out with Pictures of You by the Cure (I've been looking so long at these pictures of you that I almost believe that they're real... I've been staring so long at these pictures of you that I almost believe that the pictures are all I can feel) followed by Won't Go Home by Maroon 5... and ending with I Would Walk 500 Miles by The Proclaimers. Who are Scottish.

No comments: