Friday, September 19, 2008

The Big Decision.

Gene and I have been together for 5 years. We've lived together for two going on 3 of those 5 years, and we own a house together. So... we always get "the question." You know what question I'm talking about. "So... when are you going to finally get married?" It isn't that we aren't ready--we are. We're very ready. We wouldn't have bought a house together if we weren't ready. We joke about getting married, we faux plan things, but nothing is ever concrete. So last night we had "the big discussion" and I think we came to "the big decision."

My family life is a mess. becklette knows all of the dirty details... the main things you need to know are:
A. my parents are divorced...and have been separated for about three years now.
B. my father is remarried to a woman i begrudgingly don't hate.
C. my sister won't meet her, nor does she like (read: she loathes) my mom's boyfriend, whom I happen to like.
D. we also have a lot of "if you don't invite this person, then I'm not coming." and "if you do invite this person, I'm not coming."

So. We decided that screw everyone else. This is about us, so we're going to make it (here's the shocker) about us. I think we 85% decided that we're going to take a few people (like 20ish) and just do it. No extended family... my father's family is kind of snobby anyway and I'm pretty sure they don't like me very much. Today I decided that I'm going to research quaint little places I can elope at that aren't Vegas (where my father was remarried. He's classy.) that are fairly close to Delaware. The other reason we decided we're eloping besides the family drama.... Gene hates weddings. They make him really anxious. He doesn't like being around large groups of people (unless it's a sports event, but he doesn't have to touch people at sporting events, or talk to all of them). Gene just likes to be left on his own... he just wants to hang out... he doesn't like being the center of attention. I don't want to make him have a big huge wedding just because it's what you're supposed to do. I don't care that's what you were supposed to do. I want to do it my way. So. I'm researching. And compiling lists of things like possible guest-ness, and possible places, and things.

No comments: