Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Funny how things change...

This weekend (and by weekend, I mean Monday.. but I was on vacation, so it was still my weekend) I got to reconnect with someone I've been friends with for over ten years (and when we figured that out... we simultaneously groaned OH MY GOD WE'RE SO OLD). She always moves far away. She went to undergrad in Florida... and grad school in D.C. where she's been living for the past few years, and while D.C. is much closer than Florida (to me anyway) we still don't see each other quite as often as we'd like.

But getting together with her really made me realize how much I missed her. It's also made me realize how much we've both changed. We used to have this routine in the summers. Go swimming in her pool, go to the mall, eat at Friendly's, go to VS and absolutely buy the 5 for $25 underwear, then go back into pool, turn on hot tub, watch silly movies. Yesterday, however, we went into the pool (and now I'm SO sunburnt), went to the mall... realized Friendly's no longer exists (the horror!), got ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery instead, went to VS... and hated everything in there, and then we parted ways. I had to get home to make dinner. It was so funny because we're still the same basic people, and our friendship still works, but we've definitely changed.

When we drove to the mall, we took the long way (to avoid tolls... I didn't have easy pass with me) and went by this road that we used to go on in high school. The road is supposedly haunted, and there's supposed to be this coven that does all kinds of weird stuff. Now... I studied Wicca for a while (found it fascinating) and I also read Tarot, and this "haunted road" was just a road. But that didn't mean that it didn't scare the bejesus out of me. And when we crossed over it... it just brought me right back to all of the stupid shit I did in high school. The one night we did go there... we did get run off of the road and someone followed us for about 2 miles until we turn onto a different road, hence the terrified part.

The whole day just had me really missing those friendships that I had in high school. Out of all of the people I was close to, I only talk to two people. The friend I hung out with, and my best friend that I've known since I was 6. That's it. All of these friendships that I thought I'd have forever... gone. And I know that I'm better off... all of the friendships I have now are really strong. They're the people I'd call if I needed to hide the body, you know? The other people would say they'd help me, but call the police so that when I went to pick my friend up, the cops would be waiting. But that still doesn't mean that I don't sometimes miss those people... and wish that they could have been better friends.

Also, unrelated, I've almost finished watching season 1 of True Blood... DAMN that show is good. And for my lunch today, I'm going to Borders and I'm going to buy the first book. I do love me some vampires. No vampire can come close in my book to Edward Cullen, but Sookie seems way more interesting than whiny Bella Swan. Maybe if Sookie and Edward got together...that would be awesome.

2 comments:

Joanie said...

I love M. and L.

FRANNIE said...

High Five for True Blood. I am so a member of this cult too.

I also decided I would try reading the Charlene Harris The Southern Vampire Series seeing as how the show is based on it.