Thursday, August 27, 2009

Go Bananas! (b-a-n-a-n-a-s)

When I was in high school... I ate fruit just about every single day. I know that I've mentioned my fruit allergy before, but I recently discovered what it ACTUALLY is.

Oral Allergy Syndrome

It explains EVERYTHING. Why I can have cooked fruit... why I can have juice... why it's only stuff that is fresh...

After reading into OAS a little more, I discovered that it's a severe reaction to the POLLEN, and since I'm super allergic to every tree ever... it makes sense that I have a reaction to apples, plums, and pluots (crossbreed of plums and apricots. It's the fruit I miss the most, and they are DELICIOUS) and why when I got my allergies tested... I didn't have any reaction to any of the fruit.

But I did notice that there are different groups of OAS. People who are sensitive to apples for instance, are also sensitive to pears, peaches, plums, etc. But bananas are in a separate group. And I discovered that I can eat bananas. I'm really super excited about that... because I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches. It's my guilty pleasure. I made grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches in honor of Elvis's death one year. My friend from high school's dad was OBSESSED with Elvis (and yes, he did own Elvisopoly) and so we made fried (grilled...) peanut butter and banana sandwiches. 12 of them. And my friend and I ate them all since no one was willing to try it. It's delicious, in case you're wondering.

I had a banana for breakfast this morning. It was very exciting. So I may be back to trying fruits with a bottle on Benadryl next to me again. That's what I did when this developed with I was 18... so maybe there are other fruits that I will be able to eat! (I'm hoping that citrus, melons, and grapes are okay. I'm trying things that don't really grow on trees, or that have a peel like bananas and citrus)

No comments: