Monday, August 17, 2009

Oh, driver? Take me to work please.

I've been struggling as to whether or not I was going to blog about this. But after Ali's post on The Way I See It I decided to share a little.

Short version? I was in a car accident... my car is definitely not fine... but I'm mostly fine.

The long (edited) version? I was on my way to get lunch... driving down a road that I'm on every single day... doing the same motions that I do every single day... when a driver going the opposite way down that same road made a left-hand turn in front of my car. My front bumper is gone. My windshield is smashed to little bits. My hood is all scrunchy. I am mostly okay though. I just have some back pain. Yes I'm seeing my doctor. I'm doing everything right.

But unlike Ali, the officer that I had to deal with was a lovely human being. He was great about explaining everything to me about what I needed to do and everything. I feel like the day of the accident I did nothing but make phone calls to insurance people and family members and whatnot. My dad did send me flowers though, which was very nice.

My car is totalled. But I'm going to be driving Ruth soon. Ruth is my little sister's car. She named it Ruth. But now my sister has a new car, Luna, and Ruth hasn't been sold yet. (I don't name cars... but she does. Since the car already has a name, I'll probably keep the name. Gene and I have already started referring to it as Ruth.) So as soon as the insurance and everything has been switched to me, I'll have wheels again. And I won't be chauferred around town anymore.

It's so inconvenient to have to rely on other people for a ride somewhere!!! At least the first week after the accident Gene was home... but now he's not. So now I need to bribe people to drive me places. This morning I bribed my friend with bagels and coffee. I think that will only go so far. I could buy her some Strongbow (it's a hard cider from England... and it's DELICIOUS) as a thank you.

At the moment I'm trying to look on the bright side. I'm trying not to get sad that my very first car (okay, it was really my sixth car. But it was the first car that I bought all by myself. So I feel like it really was my first car) is dead now. And I'm trying not get freaked out everytime I see people brake in front of me and i feel like the person driving (mainly Gene) doesn't brake early enough for my liking. I'm trying not to hyperventilate everytime I have to drive down the road where my accident was. I could avoid it, but that would be very inconvenient. And I'm really trying not to think about what a pain in the ass it is that I was hit. But I was very lucky. I'm trying to concentrate on that.

3 comments:

Joanie said...

I hope I never have to drive Ruth, ever again. Good luck and I hope you get another car really really soon. I'm also glad Dad said you could have it for a trade-in too. Other-wise it would have been up to me to find a buyer for it.

Bayjb said...

Wow I'm so glad you're okay. Hopefully Ruth won't be with you for too long :)

Unknown said...

Dude, I don't mind, really! Bagels are quite enough. And watching DW. It gets me to work early enough that I can go for a walk! Or so that I can get more work done...walk it is.