Wednesday, August 19, 2009

When I grow up...

When I was little, I wanted to be the voice of a Disney Princess (despite telling my next door neighbor that I wanted to be a pole dancer, but that was the year before). That hasn't changed all that much... I would still love to make a living doing voice work, but it's a very hard business. One that's very hard to break into.

The other profession that I really love is makeup. That's one of the reasons that I started working at ULTA. I love wearing makeup... I love playing with makeup... I love doing other people's makeup. And I get to do that at ULTA. My favorite things to do is pick out prom makeup and pick out wedding makeup. It's like I'm kind of part of the event because I'm helping that person feel special (sure it's in an entirely superficial way, but whatevs. It makes me happy, ok?)

Yesterday... I got to pick out this girl's wedding makeup. The trick about wedding makeup is that you want the bride to look like herself, but the very best version of herself. The hardest part is eye makeup, because you want to define and make the eye pop without making it too dark, and trust me that's difficult. But I managed to find this perfect balance for this girl, and she looked awesome.

And then she asked me if I would come and do it for her on Saturday. The day of her wedding.

SQUEE!

I've never done anyone's makeup for their ACTUAL wedding. I've done bridesmaids who come into ULTA and get makeovers (which technically we're not allowed to do... because it is a service, and they should go to our salon and get an esthetician to do it for a charge, but at the time we didn't have an esthetician on staff...) but never the bride. I'm a bit super nervous. A bit super excited. And totally honored, because this girl liked my style so much that she's willing to charge me to do it for this huge important day.

When I was halfway through school... I was THIS CLOSE to going to beauty school and getting my cosmetology license. But I had already put myself through almost 3 years of private college, and I didn't want to waste that time. I had this secondary plan where when I had loans paid off (which will be when I'm 50 at this rate...) I would get my cosmetology license. And I actually have looked into it. But I need to be at a better place financially. I'm really good at makeup. And I'm pretty good at hair. I think it's in the blood. My mom was a hair stylist for a long time, and I think that's why I always had an interest for it.

I have so many relationships with makeup artists because of ULTA, and honestly I don't know how many of them are license cosmetologists or estheticians. But I would love to join that caliber of talent.

No comments: