Thursday, November 4, 2010

Nervous Ambitions

I have all these grandious ideas of what I want in life. Yes, I love working in radio... but do I see myself in radio for the rest of my life? I don't know. I really have no idea. I wanted to be an actor for so long that I never bothered to see if I was good at anything else. But there IS something else that I was always good at... I'm just terrified to do it.

I can tell a good story. And I can tell a good story with a lot of words. I've been talking about writing a novel for the past 5 or 6 years? But I've never actually DONE it. I've talked about it. Thought about it. Even outlined a novel! But I'm so critical of myself that I don't actually DO anything. I have 2 great ideas for a novel that are both grounded in things that have happened either to me or to people around me, and Gzilla pointed out that maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time. I need to start with something that's entirely fiction before I start borrowing.

Then I remembered that November is NaNoWriMo. Only problem? I haven't written a single word. If I started on November 1st, I would have had to write 1667 words a day to get to 50,000 by November 30th. Since now it's November 4th...that gives me 26 days instead of 30 days, so that means I have to write 1924 words every day to get to 50,000 words. It's not going to happen. Especially since I lose two whole days because of "Pre Cana Prison" next weekend (that's what I'm calling it. You better believe I'll have a full report after next weekend!!!).

Anyone else doing/did do NaNoWriMo? I can do this, right?

2 comments:

Joanie said...

You can do it! I'm doing NaBloPoMo, not because I hope to write a book someday, but to see if I can actually weprolrite a blog post every day for a month. So far, so good!!!

Good luck!!! I know you can do it!!

Joanie said...

I wonder what the hell weprolrite is supposed to be??? I think the word should have been WRITE. I'm not sure where all those other letters came from!