Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ticead amhain go dti an Baile Atha Cliath, le do thoil

I have reached a milestone. I applied for my passport... and I am traveling overseas for the first time. No longer can I say that the only foreign country I've been to is Canada, and it was so long ago that you didn't even need a passport.

For two years, my best friend has lived in Ireland, and I haven't been to see her once. Because it's expensive. Because anytime it might be possible, some expense comes up (like my water heater breaking). Because Gene wants to come with me, and sending two people to Europe is considerably more expensive than just sending one. Especially when just one person goes, you don't have to worry about lodging but two people can't stay at a friend's apartment.

It was actually Gene's idea. He decided that it was silly that he was the only reason I wasn't seeing my best friend while she's living in another country. Opporunities like this don't come up often, and I don't know when else I'll be able to see another country without having to worry about a hotel AND get to spend it with one of my favorite people. Plus all of the stuff that we'd want to do is NOT exactly stuff that he'd want to do. And he gets severely motion sick, so he'd be no good most of the trip.

OMG I'm so excited. I need to get a larger memory card for my camera. I need to get rain boots. I need to knit myself a sweater. I'm thinking of the Vine Yoke Cardigan by Ysolda Teague. I have the pattern, and I had started it in a different yarn but wasn't crazy about it (non superwash, yuck) and I messed up the first sleeve. And then I got super yummy Lorna's Laces for Christmas in Dusk. SO PRETTY.

So... I need travel tips! I haven't flown on a plane since 2003. I've never had a flight more than 1 hour before, and this one is almost 7 hours. What's your best travel experience?? I don't want the worst... I live in a land where your luggage always gets there, there is never turbulence, and airplanes fueled by magic and rainbows.

(oh, by the way, my title means "One ticket to Dublin, please.")

3 comments:

Fidgeting Gidget said...

That is SO much fun. And she's kind of a local now, so you will get to do lots of cool stuff that normal tourists wouldn't do! I've always wanted to go there!

My best travel experience was on our honeymoon to Italy. I took lots of books, my iPod, and a lot of crosswords. You might want to take knitting, but be sure to print the think off of the US security website stating that needles are allowed to back you up...and take bamboo needles.

Joanie said...

Get a couple of really good books to read.

Don't sleep too much the night before because it's mostly likely an overnight flight (like you're gonna sleep the night before your trip).

Don't take off your shoes! They might not go back on when you land! (sometimes your feet swell) Or wear slippers!

Don't scream "OH MY GOD! WE'RE GOING TO DIE!" if you happen to hit a little turbulence.

Give her a really big hug for me!

Al said...

Oh what fun!! I love how you said you have to knit yourself a sweater too :)

I haven't had any super-horrible travel experiences, which isn't bad considering I've done the 16 hr journey to/from Kenya four times, LOL. Definitely bring/use a sleep mask and earplugs if you want to sleep! I am a spaz and bring a neck pillow and an old navy fleece blanket that is fairly compact -yes it looks "special" but I sleep like a rock. Oh and don't drink - it's tempting, but it will probably make you feel like crap when you get off the plane!

I can't wait to see your pictures!